Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tying off my spinal cord

I met with my surgeon this morning and got some rather shocking news. (Jeff, you'll be thanking your lucky stars you didn't use Dr Hart after you hear this). He wants to "tie off" my spinal cord at my injury level. He doesn't think finding the leak(s) and repairing it/them successfully is likely. Therefore, he wants to go in and just tie off my spinal cord. This kinda freaks me out. I mean, I do think there will be an SCI cure someday, but I do not think I'll ever walk again due to severe osteoporsis, all the metal in my back, the number of years I've been paralyzed, my age, etc, but tying off my spinal cord seems so drastic. He said the surgery itself would only be a couple hours and I'd only be in the hospital for 2 or 3 days. He said I wouldn't notice any changes other than not getting the headaches anymore. Still... tying it off just doesn't sit well with me.

I do have some possibly good info though. Yesterday I sat for 2 hours before the headache came on. Today I sat for 4. Tomorrow I'm going to try sitting without taking the meds and see how it goes. There is a possibility that the hole is repairing itself, though he said it is unlikely and I am certainly not holding my breath.

BTW, to add insult to injury, the useless and quite unpleasant experience of yesterday cost me $200. : (

3 comments:

  1. Hey Shannon,
    I am back on the blog. It was my fault. I just was not going to the correct place. Your tip today reminded me. Gosh I hate to hear about this tear in your dura.

    When I had a Myelogram I had a blockage as well. The dye would not go above the level of my injury. That was before the surgery I had to restabilize. I put my surgery scar pictures on my carepage too. They look very similiar except that you are obviously much smaller than me.

    I know you are an atheist but I am still praying that this thing will be resolved with a minimum of invasion.

    Be back in touch later. Time for sleep now seeing as how it is 1:45 AM here in Georgia.

    Peace,
    Grandin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not liking the idea of tying it off .... maybe get a 2nd opinion? Even see what Wise says? Glad the headaches are better tho. Maybe you just need to put some off that flat tire patch stuff in! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Shannon.... I was thinking earlier today about the concept of tying off your spinal cord. Wouldn't that be like tethering it. And unless I am mistaken having a tehered cord is not a good thing. Ask the question if you have not already.

    Hope you have some more and new information today.

    Grandin

    ReplyDelete