Thursday, December 10, 2009

3 days after surgery

I'm feeling pretty good. I got scared when I woke up this morning because I had a night of alternating between being so cold that my teeth were chattering, to being so warm that I was laying in a pool of sweat. My first thought was infection. But then I talked to the nurse and she said the oxy I'm taking can do that. That makes sense because last night when they gave me the oxy, they gave me double the dose. I wasn't going to take anymore oxy today, but when I heard I had to sit up in my brace and go to xray, I knew I had to have it as the pain would be too much. But I only took 5mg of it and I've been fine! Yay! Lesson learned: don't take too much oxy.

A bit before noon they put me in my TLSO and sat me up in bed. Unlike yesterday, I did not get a headache. I went to xray, saw all my new hardware and saw that my old broken rods are now lined up. Then I came back to my room and spent the next 6 or so hours with my sister while sitting in bed with my brace on. She drew on my brace (see below). You know there were no men around because if there were, there would be traced man hands over my plastic boobs.

I did have one traumatic experience today, but I just can't talk about it. Let's just say that it involved changing the dressing on my neck IV. Okay, that's all I can say. I'm feeling quesy and If I say anymore I'll pass out.

I actually feel ready to go home. Obviously I can't because I need my 2nd surgery. I have to say this whole ordeal has been much easier than I thought it would be. I didn't even have to go to the ICU. Of course it hasn't been a bowl of pudding, but so far anyway, it's gone much easier than I ever imagined. Thank you so much for keeping me and G in your thoughts. BTW, G is doing well. She misses me a lot and wants me home, but she isn't so terrified anymore

On Tuesday I got a Snuggie from some friends. Leopard print! You know who you are VQs! Thank you so much for everything! They also sent a care package to G. How sweet is that? G was thrilled! Visitors have included my sister, my daughter, Ron, Richard (from CC for those of you who know what CC is), and Kris. Kris brought me yummy brownies yesterday. Ron and Gillian have supplied me with adequate food to replace the "food" they are trying to feed me here. Today I got flowers from my parents (I know I said I'll send a picture, but I want to wait until the flowers open), and my sister brought me a book, some movies, a notebook, some chocolate, and a puzzle book guaranteed to keep me entertained for hours. Note: This last paragraph was mainly written for my mom because she's a mom and moms need to know things like who visited and how long they stayed and what they said and what they were wearing and what their social security number is, etc).

Oh, tonight I will not have to listen to my neighbor's hacking, croaking, spitting, and conversations he is having with the people in his head because my door is CLOSED! When used properly, doors are excellent things to have around.

1 comment: