Basically because things are so complicated in my back and he doesn't want me to ever have surgery again.
I use my upper body much more than the average person. I use my arms to get in and out of bed. I do a lot of twisting and turning. Below T4, I have dulled sensation. All this means that unlike a walking person who has had a fusion, I'm likely to do a whole lot of bending and twisting that a walking person wouldn't do because a) i can't feel the pain they would be feeling, and b) I have no choice but to do the bending and twisting because I cannot move my hips independently. I hope I've described that well enough. It makes sense to me. I don't like it, but it makes sense. Overkill? Yeah, probably. But three weeks of having people assist me in rehab is a whole lot better than going home alone and pushing myself too much and too fast... and I suppose I've been known to push myself too hard and too fast. I've been told by numerous people over my 39 years of life that I'm a bit stubborn at times. I suppose there is a little bit of truth in that. It isn't 100% stubborness though. There's quite a bit of laziness and plain old stupidity involved. So yes, weeks in rehab is going to be suckier than sucky, but I have to make sure this thing heals as solidly as it possibly can.
I've been assured that these new restrictions are not due to any damage that has already been done, or surgery not going as expected, or me not doing well.
I still do not know at this time if I'll be going to a dreaded nursing home or rehab. And I still don't know when I'm going. It's possible that it will still happen today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as a change of scenery would be very nice. The only real concern I have about going to rehab is that according to their website, their rooms are "semi-private". I don't know what that means, but I'm guessing I'll have roomates and we'll be separated by curtains. I'm not going to like that one bit, but at least the people will not be elderly. I could have a private room at a nursing home, but just the thought of being in a nursing home is incredibly depressing. Also, staff would not be educated on spinal cord injury stuff. I'd have to constantly be teaching them things whereas at rehab, they just might teach me things.
Today has been a very good day. I haven't heard one bit of bad news. Also, when they drew blood this morning, I asked them to take it from my foot. They did! That was nice of them. I've hit my breaking point with all the pokes in my arms and hands. Even though shots don't hurt very much, the whole idea of it makes me ill.
Lunch has just arrived and it's actually good. Veg lasagna. Amazing. I will post new hardware xray pictures later today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment