Friday, December 11, 2009

'Twas another good day

Still feeling good for the most part. The IV in my neck is driving me crazy. They changed the dressing on it yesterday and the new dressing burns. So I was up quite a bit of the night trying to deal with the pain. It wasn't a good night. Definitely my worst night here. I finally decided that taking narcotics and sweating profusly but not freaking out about my neck was better than dealing with the pain. After finally giving in and taking the oxy, I was able to get a bit of sleep, but not much because by 6am they are in my room about every 15 minutes to take blood or take my vitals or something. I probably only got about 4 hours of sleep total. I've realized that it's completely impossible to get a good night of sleep when you are in the hospital.

The two key components to good healing are nutrition and rest, neither of which most hospitals provide. IMO. I guess it's hard for hospital administrations to focus on those two things when there is so much blood collecting going on. They have no problem providing you with a bag of Doritos and a can of Pepsi for dinner, but they freak out if you refuse to give them two vials of blood every freaking morning at 6am.

This afternoon I asked for some adhesive removal liquid. While cleaning all the tape off my arms, I counted the number of new holes in my arms and hands. 20. Yes, 20. Can you believe that? In the five days I've been here they have stabbed each arm 10 times. And just have a look at my bruised wrists:


Okay, okay, I'll stop with the bad stuff...

I got out of bed today! They put my brace on, put me in my chair, and let me loose. I explored a small part of the hospital for a few hours this afternoon and that felt really good.

I had my hair washed.

I received a bouquet of flower shaped cookies. It is very cute! I will take a picture and post the picture tomorrow. Thank you so much Jen and Harvey! It put a big smile on my face!

The staff here is fabulous. I've liked every single nurse and therapist and doctor that I've met. They're all wonderful people and I am very thankful for all of them.

Tomorrow I am going to attempt my own bed to wheelchair transfer. I think I'll be able to do it.

Surgery is tentatively scheduled for Monday, although it might not happen until Wednesday. Sigh.

Next door neighbor Mr. Skippy Spitlips checked out today. (Skip really was his first name.) They just moved in a new patient fresh out of surgery. She sounds like a teenager with her parents. Poor kid. Probably just had rods put in. She keeps moaning, "Oooowwwwwwwwwww". : (

1 comment:

  1. Hey cutie,

    can I just say OUCH! It hurts! I hate knowing that you're in pain. Sorry I didn't make it over yesterday. It was my last full day at BIRC on Thursday, and I'm pretty wiped out and trying to stave off colds etc.. I'm thinking of you a lot. I'm glad Gillian is less freaked out, too. I'm moving really slowly today, but if I start moving faster, I'll be over there!

    xoxo Lise

    ReplyDelete