Sunday, December 27, 2009

Things I need/want when I go home

Um, I feel weird about this, but I've had a few people ask if there is anything they can do/get for me. I'm hoping to go home on Thursday, and there are some things that would be nice for me to have. I have created a list of things at Target.com. To see my list:

1. Go to Target.com
2. Click on Gift Registries + Lists
3. Scroll down to "Find a List or Registry"
4. Type in Shannon Thomas
5. Check the "TargetLists" button
6. Click on "search"
7. Look through the Shannon Thomas people and I'm the one with the list titled: Krap for the krip (I tried "Crap for the Crip" first, but Target wouldn't allow the word "crap"... lol)

Why I want/need the things on my list?
Tank tops - gotta wear them under my stupid hard plastic uncomfortable ugly brace.
Sheet set - I'm going to be in a hospital bed for probably a few months. I currently have no bedding for a twin size bed.
Comforter - see above.
Pillows - I need a bunch for positioning myself. 4 new pillows to add to the 4 I have at home should be enough.
Mattress Topper - To help prevent bed sores.
Reacher - I can't pick things up off the floor when I'm in my chair and wearing my brace. Gus is usually good about picking things up for me, but a reacher would be less dog slobbery.

A couple other helpful things include:

A gift certificate to Delivered Dish. http://d-dish.com/ They are a Portland company that delivers food from local restaurants. Let me know if you need my home address.

Books. Got any laying around that you were planning on giving to Goodwill? How about sending them to me?! I'm open to trying just about anything, but if you want an idea of what sort of books I generally read, you can check out my list at Amazon.com.
1. Amazon.com
2. Click on "Gifts and Wish Lists"
3. On the right side, type in my email address: mabelklix@comcast.net

3 comments:

  1. I fully understand the uncomfortable feeling, but there are times when you gotta swallow it.
    Will things delivered to your home address be received?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    I am so glad to hear you are going to be going home. I know you will be more comfortable there. Your recovery seems to be going much faster than mine did. I can relate on the feeling wierd about asking for help. I have become pretty self sufficient myself and not used to asking for help. Never have been comfortable there even before my accident. I was usually helping others. Anyway.... there are those times when we have to suck it up and say..."Will you do this for me?" I am shocked to see you are not taking any drugs. I am still dealing with chronic pain but it is getting better. I've had pain issues since the accident. Good luck with the move home. What will you be riding in?
    Later... Grandin AKA Grange

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard, it is hard to swallow. I know some people want to help though, and these are the things I need. Yes, things delivered to my home address will be received. I can do without those things, but having them would certainly make things nicer for me.

    Grandin, my recovery is going faster than I thought it would. I bet my surgeon wouldn't be pleased if he knew they were planning on sending me home on Thursday. The only restriction he sent me to rehab with, other than than typical ones such as not lifting more than 10 lbs, was no trapeze. I'm following his written instructions, but not what he verbally told me. He verbally told me to do pretty much nothing for 3 weeks, but if I were to do that, they'd kick me out of rehab and send me to a nursing home. I know I'd do very poorly in a nursing home. I'm already getting down in this place. I haven't slept well the last 3 nights, and I have no appetite.

    I'm very lucky that I have minimal pain. I know my recovery would take much longer if that was an issue. In my 31 years of paralysis, pain has never been much of a problem.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "what will you be riding in?"

    ReplyDelete