Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Update from Shannon

it's difficult to type when you're flat on your back and you are overdosing on narcotics, but i'll write a little bit.

the surgery on monday was about 8 hours. for a variety of reasons they only did the back surgery. they placed new screws and rods, and didn't remove anything. I think they also played a few games of 'toss Shannon around the room', or maybe they dropped a truck on me. You know those silly doctors, always trying to break up the monotomy of surgery.

i haven't seen my doctor yet today, but i did see him yesterday. i think he said things went well, but because of the narcotics, I can't be sure of that.

The second surgery in which they will go in my side and fix my vertebrae (bone from a dead person... cool!), will most likely happen on Monday. I was orginally hoping to be out of here before monday, but obviously that won't happen.

Yesterday was pretty rough The pain was significant. Today is much better. If I'm lying flat on my back it hardly hurts at all. When they roll me to look at my incsion or something, it's quite painful.

Originally my doc had told me that I wouldn't need to wear a brace after surgery, but I'm going to be getting one today. It's a TLSO and if you know what those are, you know that it's hard to put them on by yourself. So, i don't know if I'll end up having to wear it. In a way I want to wear one for a while because the last thing I want to do is go through this surgery again. I just don't know how I'm going to get it on and off though. They're talking about maybe sending me to rehab for a week after I'm released from the hospital. They say there's a really nice rehab in Lake Oswego, and maybe that wouldn't be too bad. Of course I just want to go home, but I don't know that I'll have the strenght to take care of myself.

The food here at OHSU is terrible. I;ve been in 4 Portland hospitals. Good Sam had decent food, Providence was not good, Emanuel was not good, but the food here in unbelievably bad. You'd think they'd want to give their patients good food. A bag of Doritos is not my idea of good food. Last night I had some beans, rice, and cheese and although I was very hungry, I couldn't choke it down. Luckily Ron brought me a piece of pizza.

This entry is incohesive, isn't it? Narcotics are fun for about 30 minutes, but anything more than that is too much for me.

5 comments:

  1. Hey baby! I'm so glad to get to hear your voice through the internet even if you think it is a little incoherent. Actually, you seem quite alert! Chris and I are thinking of you and sending you healing wishes and love. I'm out at BIRC all day tomorrow, but I'd like to stop by on Friday and bring you a yummy snack or something. What are you craving? Hope you get some rest tonight. Sweet dreams! xoxox Lise

    ps Bella is wiggling all over and trying to jump up on you and I'm telling her no, very sternly, but she just can't help herself because she loves you so much.... you know the drill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    Wow I had no idea! The blog is a great idea. I am up at the VA working with kids. If you tell me where you are, maybe I could come by to say Hello! I'm glad to hear you are somewhat better. Drugs can be fun!
    Take care, Julie Jillian John and Missy Dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem pretty coherent to me. Sorry about the food, and the extra time in the hospital. Worry about how you feel about rehab when the time actually comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lise and Chris. Bella, if you jump on me I won't let you in the magic bus! I don't have anything particular I'm craving, but I do look forward to seeing you!

    Julie, hi! I just saw on your blog that Missy is 15! Wow, she doesn't look or act it. I love that dog, even though she's very aloof to me. Perhaps that is why I like her so much! I'm at OHSU. I'm not sure which building I'm in, but I think only one of the buildings here is for hospital patients, right? I do know I'm in 10A, cuz the sign hanging in my room says so.

    Stephanie, you ARE stalking me, aren't you? Just leave me alone crazy lady! j/k I enjoyed seeing your pics of Lic in the snow! Gussy loves the snow too, but we haven't gotten any yet so far this year. It's been cold enough, but dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bella is trying SO hard to be good. She's trembling with effort! Aw, she just whined. Hey! No, Bella! Stay. Good girl. She wants on that magic bus bad.

    ReplyDelete